Samsung recently launched Galaxy S4 for Rs. 41500 in India. World Market Research Organisation IHS iSuppli recently unveiled manufacturing cost of Samsung Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy S4 which costs around $640 in U.S. Market is manufactured at the cost of $236(Rs. 13000). Samsung does not manufacture all the parts for making the phone. Various parts are sourced from various manufacturing companies across the globe. All these parts are assembled to make the complete phone. Let’s take a look at virtual costs of various parts used in Samsung Galaxy S4 manufacturing.
Part by Part Samsung Galaxy S4 manufacturing cost details.
Memory(NAND flash + DRAM) – $28/Rs. 1522
Processor – $30/Rs. 1620
Display and Touchscreen – $75 / Rs. 4050
Cameras – $20 / Rs. 1080
Wireless Section – $16 / Rs. 864
User Interface and Sensors – $16 / Rs. 864
WLAN / Bluetooth / FM / GPS – $9 / Rs. 486
Power Management – $8 / Rs. 432
Battery – $5.60 / Rs. 302
Mechanical / Electro-Mechanical – $22 / Rs. 1188
Box Contents – $6 / Rs. 324
These are the major parts and their costs used in manufacturing of Samsung Galaxy S4. As you can see Samsung earns around $400 / Rs. 28500 profit per piece. No doubt Samsung is leading in smartphones and it’s innovative technology. But what do you think? Is it worth spending almost 3 times the manufacturing cost?
Quick specs of the Galaxy S4:
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 16M colours.
- 1920 x 1080 full HD resolution on a 5 inch screen, that gives a pixel density of 441 ppi.
- 2 GB RAM, 16/32/64 GB internal storage that is expandable upto 64 GB with a microSD card.
- 13 MP primary camera and 2 MP secondary camera, both capable of full HD 1080p video recording.
- Exynos 5 Octa-Core (5410) CPU with Quad Cortex-A15 cores clocked at 1.6GHz and Quad Cortex-A7 cores clocked at 1.2GHz or a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 CPU clocked at 1.9GHz (Depending on the market).
- PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU running at up to 533MHz or the Adreno 320 GPU (Depending on the market).